Having punch can lead you to worship false gods. Know your drink. Know your God.
One of the most common “bad drink experiences” is when we do not know what we are drinking. Following the simple guidelines below can be useful.
- All alcohol is not created equal.
- Always make and measure your own drink.
- Any alcoholic beverage in a Solo cup equals more than one drink.
- Drinking punch almost always guarantees disaster, regret, dangerous intoxication and remorse.
A useful link to assist with alcohol content and effect:
Students sometimes don’t realize that:
- A Solo cup is equal to 1 1/3 beers.
- 4-5 ounces of wine is equal to one beer. A large glass of wine can hold 8-10 ounces of wine: a Solo cup can hold 15-16 ounces of wine.
- A Long Island Ice Tea typically contains vodka, tequila, rum, gin and triple sec, and can be equal to 4-5 beers.
- A Solo cup of jungle juice or punch can equal 4-6 drinks. If Everclear is used it can double the effect of 4-6 drinks.
- Mixing a drink in a Solo cup by pouring alcohol to the first indentation line (4 ounces) is the equivalent of 3 drinks. A more generous pour can equal 4 or more drinks.
- A rum and coke made with a shot of Bacardi 151 is equal to almost two drinks, not one.